2018 Livestock and Poultry Performance of Ilocos Region

Issue No.: 

2019 - 19

Release Date: 

Friday, June 14, 2019

Livestock and poultry production in Ilocos Region posted positive growths in output in 2018.  Production in the livestock sector went up by 3.77 percent while production in the poultry sector grew by 8.87 percent in 2018.

Among the   livestock and poultry products that recorded production gains were hog, goat, chicken and chicken eggs.  Hog, with the biggest share to the livestock production, recorded a 5.13 percent growth in output.  Likewise, chicken as major contributor in poultry production, had increased production by 8.78 percent.

 

CARABAO

The region’s volume of production on carabao in 2018 was 9,573 metric tons liveweight.  This was 2.46 percent lower than the 2017 volume of production of about 9,814 metric tons.

Ilocos Region contributed 6.69 percent to the national production of 143,143 metric tons. It ranked 7th among the top ten carabao producing regions.

 

 

As of January 1, 2018, the total number of carabaos in Ilocos Region was estimated at 169,592 heads, an increase of 2.26 percent from previous year’s 165,850 headcount.  Backyard farms accounted for 99.73 percent of the total carabao population while the remaining 0.27 percent was shared by commercial farms.

 

 

CATTLE

 

The total cattle production in 2018 was 27,288 metric tons liveweight. This was 0.32 percent lower compared with the 2017 level of 27,376 metric tons.

Ilocos Region ranked 3rd highest in cattle production in the country in 2018 with 263,310 metric tons accounting for 10.36 percent of the country’s total cattle production.

 

 

As of January 1, 2018, Ilocos Region’s total count of cattle was 299,111 heads. This was lower by 0.40 percent compared with 300,323 head count as of January 1, 2017.

The total count of cattle as as of January 1, 2018 in backyard farms was recorded at 296,488 which comprised 99.12 percent of the backyard farm inventory in the region. Meanwhile, commercial farm inventory was posted at 2,623 heads (0.88 percent share).

 

Inventory of cattle in commercial farms increased by 5.30 percent as of January 1, 2018 from last year’s same period count of 2,491 heads. On the contrary, inventory of cattle in backyard farm went down by 0.45 percent from 297,832 headcount as of January 1, 2017.

 

 

SWINE

 

The region’s hog production in 2018 reached 94,684 metric tons liveweight. This was 5.13 percent higher than last year’s level of 90,065 metric tons. Out of the country’s production of 2,319,764 metric tons, Ilocos Region ranked 9th among the top ten swine producing regions with 4.08 percent share.

 

 

Total inventory of swine as of January 1, 2018 was 599,143 heads, higher by 3.80 percent than the 577,277 headcount in the same period last year.  Out of this total inventory, 78.71 percent was contributed by backyard farms while 21.29 percent was shared by commercial farms. 

Inventory of swine in commercial farms increased by 14.80 percent as of January 1, 2018 from 111,111 heads as of January 1, 2017. Similarly, inventory of swine in backyard farms as of January 1, 2018 grew by 1.17 percent from the 466,116 heads inventory as of January 1, 2017.

 

 

GOAT

 

The region’s production on goat in 2018 was 11,318 metric tons liveweight. This   posted an increase of 8.58 percent compared with the 2017 level of 10,424 metric tons liveweight. Ilocos Region remained as the number one producer of goat in the country with a share of 14.71 percent to the national production of 76,953 metric tons.

 

 

As of January 1, 2018, the total inventory of goat in the region was recorded at 455,364 heads. It grew by 8.47 percent from the previous year’s inventory of 419,821 heads. Share of backyard farms as of January 1, 2018 was 98.89 percent or 450,299 heads while the remaining 1.11 percent or 5,065 heads of goat were raised in commercial farms.

 

Inventory of goat in commercial farms decreased by 2.52 percent as of January 1, 2018 from 5,196 heads recorded as of January 1, 2017. On the contrary, inventory of goat in backyard farms went up by 8.60 percent as of January 1, 2018 from the 414,625 heads recorded as of January 1, 2017.

 

 

CHICKEN

 

The total volume of chicken production in Ilocos Region was posted at 84,933 metric tons in 2018, 8.78 percent higher than last year’s level of 78,079 metric tons. Chicken egg production recorded at 18,588 metric tons was also higher by 14.28 percent compared with the 16,265 metric tons’ production in 2017. Ilocos Region ranked 6th among the country’s top producers of chicken with 1,836,664 metric tons or a share of 4.62 percent to the country’s total volume of chicken production.

 

 

Total inventory of chicken in the region of 10.01 million as of January 1, 2018 posted an increase of 8.05 percent relative to last year’s level of 9.26 million. Out of the total headcount, more than half or 52.68 percent are native chickens, 39.10 percent are broilers and the remaining 8.22 percent are layers.

 

 

The inventory of native chicken improved and went up by 12.89 percent from 4.67million heads as of January 1, 2017 to 5.27 million heads as of January 1, 2018. Inventory of broiler chicken also grew by 2.90 percent from 3.80 million heads to 3.91 million heads. Likewise, layer inventory increased by 4.21 percent from 789,921 heads to 823,178 heads.

 

 

DUCK

 

The total volume of duck production in Ilocos Region was estimated at 1,596 metric tons liveweight. This   was 18.57 percent lower than last year’s level of 1,960 metric tons liveweight. Ilocos Region ranked 6th highest in duck production in the country with an output of 31,091 metric tons contributing 5.18 percent to the country’s total volume of duck production.

 

 

As of January 1, 2018, total inventory of duck in the region was posted at 374,858 heads, a decline of 2.04 percent from the inventory of 382,687 heads in the same period last year.

 

By farm type, inventory of duck in commercial farms increased by 75.23 percent from 6,408 heads as of January 1, 2017 to 11,229 heads as of January 1, 2018. On the contrary, inventory of ducks in backyard farms decreased by 3.36 percent from 376,279 heads as of January 1, 2017 to 363,629 heads as of January 1, 2018.

 

 


TECHNICAL NOTES

 

Volume of Production – refers to the volume of locally-raised animals disposed for slaughter or dressing which include animals exported or shipped-out for slaughter or dressing.  This is expressed in metric tons, liveweight.

 

Livestock – farm animals kept or raised for consumption, work or leisure. For purposes of census and surveys, livestock covers only those that are tended and raised by an operator.

 

Poultry - a collective term for all domesticated avian for the purpose of food consumption or, the carcass of such avian dressed/processed for human consumption.

 

Animal Inventory/ Animal Population – the number of domesticated animals in heads present in the farm at a specific reference date.

 

Backyard Farm/Raiser- refers to any farm or household raising at least one head of animal or bird and does not qualify as a commercial farm.

 

Commercial Livestock Farm/Operator - refers to any livestock operator or farm which operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: (a) at least 21 heads of adults and zero young; (b) at least 41 heads of young animals; (c) at least 10 heads of adults and 22 heads of young animals.

 

Commercial Poultry Farm/Operator- refers to any poultry operator or farm which operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: (a) 500 layers or 1,000 broilers; (b) 100 layers and 100 broilers if raised in combination; (c) 100 heads of duck regardless of age.

 

Swine - a non-ruminant, cloven-footed animal belonging to family suidae with simple stomach, having a snout, large number of mammary glands, thin skin, and heavy bristles. It is also called hog or pig.

 

Chicken – a domestic poultry (genus Gallus) raised for meat, eggs, by products and other purpose. It is also the most popular poultry species; different from turkey ducks, quails, geese, etc.

 

Acronyms used in this report

 

  • CAR -Cordillera Administrative Region

 

  • ARMM- Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao

 

  • MIMAROPA- Occidental Mindoro, Oriental Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan

 

  • CALABARZON -Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal, Quezon

 

  • SOCCSKSARGEN -South Cotabato, Cotabato City, Sultan Kudarat

 

 

SGD. ATTY. SHEILA O. DE GUZMAN

(Chief Administrative Officer)

Officer-in-Charge

Document Type: 

PDF

Attachments: 

Division/Unit: 

Region I

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.