Death Statistics Report Region I (Ilocos Region): 2nd Quarter of 2018

Issue No.: 

2018 - 26

Release Date: 

Thursday, September 27, 2018

A total of 9,020 deaths were registered during the second quarter of 2018. The figure indicated an increase of 6.7 percent death occurrences from the same period of 2017 figure of 8,453.

The province of Pangasinan ranked first in terms of the number of registered deaths during the second quarter 2018, with a total of 5,139 or 57.0 percent share of the total registered deaths in the region. La Union placed second with 1,459 registered deaths (16.2 percent share), followed by Ilocos Norte with 1,220 (13.5 percent share) and Ilocos Sur with 1,202 (13.3 percent share).

In the same quarter of 2017, Pangasinan recorded 4,858 deaths or 57.5 percent of the total registered deaths in the region. La Union registered 1,345 (15.9 percent share), Ilocos Sur with 1,182 (14.0 percent share) and Ilocos Norte with 1,068 (12.6 percent share).

 

 

Comparing the two periods, Ilocos Norte posted the highest percent increase at 14.2 percent from 1,068 deaths in 2017 to 1,220 deaths in 2018. Followed by La Union with 8.5 percent, Pangasinan with 5.8 percent and Ilocos Sur with 1.7 percent increase.

 

 

The cities of Dagupan, San Fernando, San Carlos, Batac and Laoag posted the highest number of registered deaths in the second quarter of 2018 with 978, 633, 582, 348 and 286 deaths, respectively. On the other hand, the municipalities of Carasi, Dumalneg, Adams, Burgos and Nagbukel had the least number in terms of the number of registered deaths: Carasi with one registered death; Adams and Dumalneg with two deaths each; Burgos with three deaths; and Nagbukel with four deaths.

 

 

During the second quarter of 2018, mortality was at its peak in the month of April with total registered deaths of 3,177. This figure was more than one-third of the regional quarterly total of 9,020 death occurrences. The number of deaths in the month of April 2018 translates to an average of 106 death occurrences per day. The figure was higher than the daily average death occurrences in the region.

 

 

In same period a year ago, the highest number of registered deaths was in the month of May with 3,048 death occurrences, followed by the month of April with 2,718. The smallest number of registered deaths was in June with 2,687. May 2017 has the highest daily average of 98 death occurrences followed by April with a daily average of 91 death occurrences.

 

 

There were more death occurrences among males (5,056) than females (3,964) in Region I during the second quarter of 2018. The computed sex ratio during the quarter was 128 male deaths for every 100 female deaths.

There were two provinces that posted a sex ratio higher than the regional sex ratio. La Union posted the highest sex ratio with 137, Ilocos Norte ranked second with 131 and followed by Ilocos Sur with 127. The lowest computed sex ratio of 124 male deaths per 100 female deaths was noted in Pangasinan.

 

 

Out of the 9,020 registered deaths in second quarter of 2018, more than half (56.6 percent or 5,106 registered deaths) were attended by medical authorities. The remaining 43.4 percent or 3,914 registered deaths did not get medical attendance.

Ilocos Norte recorded the highest percentage of deaths attended by medical authorities with 84.5 percent of the total registered deaths in the province followed by La Union with 61.8 percent, Pangasinan with 50.4 percent and Ilocos Sur with 48.3 percent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Document Type: 

PDF

Attachments: 

Division/Unit: 

Region I

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Enter the characters shown in the image.