Swine production in Region I for 2nd semester 2018 reached 47,016 metric tons live weight. This was 5.47 percent higher than last year’s level of 44,577 metric tons live weight.
Region I contributed 3.91 percent to the national production of 1,203,766 metric tons live weight. It ranked 9th among the top ten hog producing regions.
The region’s total swine inventory as of July 1, 2018 was 605,777 heads. This was 8.69 percent higher than last year’s inventory of 557,358 heads. Inventory of swine in Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union and Pangasinan grew by 11.93 percent, 8.91 percent, 9.10 percent and 6.61 percent respectively.
By percent distribution, Pangasinan had the highest share of the total inventory as of July 1, 2018 of about 44.35 percent. This was followed by Ilocos Norte with 26.71 percent share, La Union with 16.91 percent share and Ilocos Sur with 12.03 percent share.
By farm type, about 81.70 percent of the total stocks as of July 1, 2018 were raised in backyard and 18.30 percent were in commercial farms.
Generally, the average farm prices of hog in second semester 2018 were higher than 2017. The average farm price of hog in backyard farms in 3rd quarter 2018 was Php124.94 per kilo. This was higher by 5.05 percent compared with the average price of 118.93 per kilo live weight in same period in 2017. Likewise, the price in 4th quarter 2018 of Php120.71 per kilo was higher by 2.82 percent compared with last year’s price of Php117.40 per kilo.
Likewise, the average retail prices of pork lean meat in 2nd semester 2018 were higher than prices last year. The average retail price of Php215.88 in 3rd quarter 2018 and Php215.96 per kilo in 4th quarter 2018 were higher by 1.75 percent and 2.75 percent respectively.
The data for this report is collected by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) through two (2) major surveys, namely the Backyard Livestock and Poultry Survey (BLPS) and the Commercial Livestock and Poultry Survey (CLPS). Surveys are conducted simultaneously every quarter in all provinces.
Another survey that supplements the data requirements of the sub-sector is the Compilation of Data from Slaughterhouses and Poultry Dressing Plant (CDSPDP). This covers the Accredited (AAA, AA) and Locally Registered Meat Establishments (LRMEs) nationwide and is undertaken in coordination with the National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS).
Concepts and Definitions
- Production. Refers to the volume of indigenous (locally-raised) animals disposed for slaughter which include animals exported or shipped-out for slaughter (in “head” and in “live weight equivalent”).
- Animal Inventory (also, Animal Population) – the number of domesticated animals in head present in the farm at specific reference date.
- Backyard Farm/Raiser- refers to any farm or household raising at least one head of animal or bird and does not qualify as a commercial farm.
- Commercial Livestock Farm/Operator - refers to any livestock operator or farm which operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) at least 21 head of adults and zero young b) at least 41 head of young animals c) at least 10 head of adults and 22 head of young animals.
- Commercial Poultry Farm/Operator- refers to any poultry operator or farm which operation satisfies at least one of the following conditions: a) 500 layers or 1,000 broilers b) 100 layers and 100 broilers if raised in combination c) 100 head of duck regardless of age.
- Swine. A non-ruminant, cloven-footed animal belonging to family suidae with simple stomach, having a snout, large number of mammary glands, thin skin, and heavy bristles. It is also called hog or pig.
SGD. ATTY. SHEILA O. DE GUZMAN
(Chief Administrative Officer)